Friday, July 27, 2012

Simsbury - Talcott Mountain State Park

Date Hiked:  Thursday, July 19, 2012
Number in Group:  8
Estimated distance round-trip: 2.5 miles
Weather:  Sunny, 83°F
Resources:  Talcott Mountain State Park, Trail Map
Highlights of the trip: Views, Heublein Tower

This is always a nice hike, and the fact that the Heublein Tower was open made it even better.  We started from the parking area off of 185 and headed up to the ridge.  From there it is an easy walk along the ridge to the tower.

View looking west over the Farmington Valley. 
You can see the Farmington River below.

Looking north.

The kids enjoyed climbing to the top of this.
I have not been in the tower in, well, I'd rather not say how many years.  It seems to me they have done quite a bit of work.  We took a look at some of the displays downstairs and also looked at some of the rooms.


This looks like a nice little place to read.

Looking south from the tower.  You can see the reservoir.

Looking east with Hartford in the distance.

Inside the tower.  I think it has been renovated since I was last here.

Looking north.

Dining room.



Common name: Selfheal or Heal-all
Scientific name: Prunella vulgaris




And just because I was curious, from Wikipedia:

Self-heal is edible: the young leaves and stems can be eaten raw in salads; the whole plant can be boiled and eaten as a potherb; and the aerial parts of the plant can be powdered and brewed in a cold infusion to make a tasty beverage.
Medicinally, the whole plant is poulticed onto wounds to promote healing. A mouthwash made from an infusion of the whole plant can be used to treat sore throats, thrush and gum infections. Internally, a tea can be used to treat diarrhea and internal bleeding.
I am very glad we went on this hike.  I'd like to go back this fall when the sky might be a little more clear and the leaves have turned color.

2 comments:

  1. Hopefully, we can join you in the fall!

    The tower looks the same as I remember it always looking, except I don't think I've ever seen the dining room before.

    Becca

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hadn't seen the dining room either. It was really pretty nice. The other room we saw that I did not take a picture of was a bedroom. Supposedly, for one of the Mr. Heublein's, but it seemed kind of feminine. As I recall, the sign did say it was not the original furnishings, but ones representing the time period.

    ReplyDelete